Thursday, May 31, 2012

Aj's "Preppy" Baptism Lunch

So this post is really old, but i thought i'd share it with you anyways...since i have a few minutes to spare.
A little *FUN (if you want to call it that) Fact* about me before we get started: My family (Mom's side) are Jehovah's Witnesses. I was born and raised one, until about 19 years old. When i moved on my own (20 years old), my decision was to not really have a religion. I DO believe in God, and i DO pray every single night...but i do not label myself as anything. Maybe right now isn't really the time to get deep into this discussion...let's just say: I have faith, and i believe that there is a higher power, but i do not affiliate myself with any one religion. With that being said, My husband was born and raised Catholic. He was an alter boy as a child. He doesn't really attend church-but he does have faith...(Very much like me). When we got married, i really wanted to have a civil ceremony, due to the fact that my family would probably NOT attend if if i had any other type of ceremony. I also did it for myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable  having someone marry me...that wasn't a judge. It's the way i was raised, and it's ingrained in me.  I was very happy with that decision, and i was very happy that my husband supported me. This was very important to me.

We had made the decision to get married by a judge, but my husband had asked me that when we had children, he would like them to be Baptised Catholic.  He respected my wishes and i respected his.  It's something we had decided a long time before, so it just so happened to have worked out for us.  I didn't include my family (the JW's) in the celebration of Aj's Baptism---simply because they probably wouldn't have attended. It's as simple as that. I didn't even let them know, because i would rather not get into that discussion with them. It's a personal choice.
#END RANT!
OK, so the celebration was very small. Only 23 people were invited...and i am very happy all of Aj's closest friends and some family were there to celebrate this special day with Aj and Us!  
I wanted to go with a preppy theme. Green and Navy. I put this party together in less than 9 days, and i think it actually came out pretty cute, considering.  We held it at a local pizzeria/restaurant.

What do you think?
Excuse the photo quality, I'm still learning how to use my DSLR!

I purchased Burlap at Joanne's Fabric for 1.49 a yard. Ironed it and used some stitch witchery to mend the ends...so they weren't frayed.

Purchased wine bottle labels off ETSY...and they were a *BIG* hit. The restaurant allowed us to bring our own bottles, which saved us $$!

My centerpieces doubled as favors. Basil plants, which i purchased at Lowe's 2 days before the event on sale for $1.50!!!

The labels for the plants were also purchased on ETSY!

We ordered a cake from our local bakery, and they pretty much nailed it with the color BLUE/GREEN! Wasn't crazy about the design...but the cake was so yummy...it didn't really matter!

on everyone's plate, they got a HERSHEY bar (Also purchased from ETSY)....and they were SOOO CUTE! They went PERFECT with the decor!

Those are all the pics i have right now on my comp! Hubby and i matched the party with our preppy outfits!


What do you guys think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment