Tuesday, April 26, 2011

counting my calories.

So, since I'm on this whole: eat healthy(er), exercise more, be happy- BIDNESS...I decided to search my droid market for some apps that can help me (what would i do without my smartphone!!??!!). I needed something that can keep track of my calories and my exercise.

A few months before my wedding-a friend of mine joined weight watchers and got a free 3 month trial membership to the online version---which she never used-so she ended up giving me the username and password.  I used the online account to keep track of what i was eating...and surprisingly, i started to really feel a difference in my clothes.  Calorie counting really does work!! (I'm actually not heavy, in any way shape or form...but like i said yesterday, I'm not "content" with my weight--I've gained a total of 14 lbs since my wedding-which by the way, was ONLY 6 MONTHS AGO!!!!) Every time I ate, i would go online (or on my phone) and enter what i ate...and it would calculate how many points (calories) i had left for the day. I was able to see what i was eating...and boy!! If I would've kept this up, maybe i wouldn't have gained the extra weight!!

(((If you don't know anything about calorie intake, check out this blog to help understand.))) 

So basically I know I'm supposed to consume a total of 1200 calories a day, if i want to loose 1 lb every week.  Which in turn, kinda sucks, because i want to loose about 14 lbs a week...but then again, that really isn't healthy or realistic, now is it?

So -back to my app search.  I finally read a bunch of reviews, and stumbled upon: myfitnesspal.
I reallllllllllly love this app!! It keeps track of everything...and the best feature: It has a barcode reader...so you don't have to enter any of the info....it just reads the barcode and tells you exactly how many calories it is!! HOW PERFECT!!!???!!! Because, obviously I'm extremely lazy, and i can't enter in all the info by myself!!


Do any of you use this app? If so...how do you like it? Any cool features that i don't know of yet?? I just started using it yesterday...so I'm still learning.  Any of you use any other apps for calorie counting?? If so, which ones?



6 comments:

  1. Girl, I just downloaded this app yesterday. I haven't used it yet, but I am determined to knock off the roughly 10lbs I gained after my wedding 4 months ago. I do have to keep reminding myself that I was almost starving myself the week before the weeding for fear I wouldn't fit into my dress. Lo and behold though, it was actually big on me. Silly stress. hehe

    I'll let you know how it works out for me!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like the perfect app!

    hey 14 lbs isn't so bad when i think of how much i've gained since my wedding a year and a half ago! bad, bad, bad!

    i'm working on it!

    if i had a smart phone i would so be downloading this app! hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this app as well! I have lost 15 lbs. since I started using it and it is awesome. I am not overweight either but had put on some pounds since being married, and now I am back down to the weight I was mid-college! Even less than right before the wedding! I love putting in my exercise so it shows me how many extra calories I can eat...because I do love to eat :-) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alisha: Please keep me updated on your progress!!! I'd really love that. I will probably document it here...but so far, so good (just a little hungry, hehe!!)

    Faith: thanks for following me!! I love your blog by the way! your wedding was amazing!! Trust me, 14 lbs definitely put a dent on my wardrobe! I can't fit into any jeans!! and it's terrible. hope this app can work!!! LOL

    Molly: THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!I'M SO HAPPY IT'S WORKED FOR SOMEONE....AND THERE IS HOPE!! THANKS FOR SHARING! YOU JUST GAVE ME AN EXTRA BURST OF ENERGY!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool app! I use the WW app since I'm on the program. But this sounds like another great option!!! Best wishes with great success in making the healthy changes and dropping the weight. Blogland can be a great source of encouragement and accountability.... can't wait to read all about your success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, i loved the WW app too, i'm just on a budget, and i can't really afford the sign up fee and the $17 a month for the online. It really did work wonders though!! It's very similar to the ww app...so well see how it goes. Thank you for your kind words...you're right, blogland definitely helps encourage me!! :)

    ReplyDelete