Thursday, April 21, 2011

My new obsession.

My hubby got me my first DSLR camera for my birthday this year.  I am BEYOND thrilled with this new toy….since I’ve been nagging him about getting me one for a long, long time.  He (MEN) just didn’t understand that my little Canon point and shoot, just WASN'T CUTTING IT ANYMORE. Not that there is something wrong with my camera, I loooove my little point and shoot...but i wanted MORE! L (I know, I sound like a spoiled brat)

Recently, since I’ve been stalking everyone’s blogs, I’ve been getting a bit jealous. Everyone has awesome pics, and mine...they were BLAH! They weren't as "crisp" and "clean" looking...they were just, "pictures”.  Then again, I had to also understand, that the funds just aren’t there….due to the fact that we're going through a rough patch right now...since he quit one of his jobs in order to go back to school, therefore, there is not as much money anymore....which means, our gifts (birthday/xmas/anniversaries etc) are not as expensive elaborate anymore.  I’ve been fine with a relaxing evening at home, and a homemade card.  But, the urge was still there: I realllllllllllllllly wanted this camera. Like, Really REALLY!!!  Hubby obviously noticed that…so he decided to please me.  I know, He’s just THAT great!  But, we made a compromise.

I decided to Craigslist it. After all, I'm not a photographer...i'm just a girl that wants to take better pictures....and i honestly have NO idea what all these buttons and gadgets are...so WHY BUY BRAND SPANKIN NEW and spend $600 plus dollars on something i don't even know how to use?  So (in cole fashion), i started checking out reviews for DSLR's that were user friendly...and easy to use...since, clearly...that's what i needed. After hours and hours of research, I decided I knew which camera I wanted.  Now, I just had to find it…at a reasonable price.


 A few days later, after using “CANON” as the Keyword in craigslist, I came across an ad that had a bunch of specs, but the words that stood out to me were "Warranty still intact"(which in fact, was a selling point, due to the fact that I could get home and end up dropping it) and "excellent beginner camera". So, I decided to send them a MSG. To my surprise, the camera belonged to an artist that lived in Brooklyn...and she used this camera to take pictures for most of her art (she takes pictures of things, and then paints them)....and she had the camera for about 2 years, and it was really good to her, she just needed to upgrade.  She was willing to part with the camera for $250 (originally, the price was $350, but I talked her down)! Soooooo that was LESS THAN HALF of a new one, so I we JUMPED ON IT! Aren't i a great WIFE!!!??!!! Ok, well i convinced hubby that i HAD to have this camera, because it was such a good price, and that if i had to eat cup a noodles for a month, then so be it (YES, I'M THAT DRAMATIC).


So, the Sunday after my birthday, we took a drive to Brooklyn to pick up my baby.
She's precious...isn't she?



Well, since then, i've been taking pictures of my food, my dogs, my plants, my grass, my chandelier, my closet, my hands, my feet, my couch, my windows...

YOU NAME IT! I'VE BEEN TAKING PICTURES OF IT!!!!  Hey, AT LEAST I'M GETTING MY MONEYS WORTH!!
And guess what? GUESS WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN TAKING PICTURES OF!??!!
My nephew, Kevin.

And here are some other pics, of random things i've been snapping pics of:
My friends took me out to dinner at Benihana for my birthday!

Daffodils that hubby got me!!

Hubby and Kevin (my FAVE pic of them!)

This little monster!! I can't take how CUTE he is!

My cat, Titty (don't judge, that really is his name).

My version of Starbucks Cinnamon dolce latte! (in order to afford this camera, i needed to make some cut-backs on my Starbucks intake)

Bailey. 
Sebastian...my old man dog (he's really old, and really moody!).

Tulips hubby got me!

So there you have it...i'm officially, obsessed.
Do any of you have tips on how to use a DSLR. I think i've done a pretty decent job, so far...but OBVIOUSLY, there is always ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.
I was thinking of taking a class...Have any of you taken classes for beginners photography!?



2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I want a new camera SO BAD as well! Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy! Do what i did, and craigslist it!! Just do your hw before hand...it really worked out on my end! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete